What is self-control? What is the importance of self-control in our life? What are the common factors of lack of self-control? How to improve self-control and control yourself in every situation? Read here how to control yourself with some short self-control quotes.
Table of contents
- What is Self Control?
- Common factors of lack of Self-control
- How to control yourself in every situation?
- A Self Control teaching from Chanakya
- Self Control Quotes to improve self-control
What is Self Control?
Self-control is a human ability, a cognitive process that helps a person to control his or her emotions, behavior, and thoughts. It helps a person to understand himself, to instill confidence in himself, to get himself in a good way from temptation. With this self-control, man achieves his goal.
Everything happens with the desire of a man. Human desire is something that is a source of satisfaction and dissatisfaction for man. The temptation of man is born of desire and the behavior of man changes. Man’s focus diverges from his goal. Instead of accomplishing his goal, a man wants to get something, whether it is in the right way or wrong way. If he gets something, then he will expect to get more.
Common factors of lack of Self-control
To improve self-control we need to know about the lack of Self Control. Below are some common reasons we will know how self-control reduced:
Excessive use more than needed
Sometimes some good food is made at home. We eat more food than we need. We do not think that eating too much can put pressure on our stomach. It’s a simple thing that happens in our daily life.
We need clothes to wear. Sometimes we are buying more than we need. Which we wear once or twice and throw it.
Sometimes we go to a restaurant. We order a lot of food. But without eating everything, Eat little and waste the rest.
Man’s desire often reflects a lack of self-control. We can see a lack of self-control in most young men and women. They love each other. There comes a time when they split up and take the wrong decision for themselves. Some people start taking drugs, putting their lives in danger. The power of self-control decreases.
Like someone in our family tells us something, when we make a mistake, we got scolded or we got some advice. We listen to them but ignore them. Sometimes we got angry with them and quarrel with them. All this happens because we don’t have enough self-control power. So we need to improve our self-control.
Another major reason for the lack of self-control is poverty. Poverty is a condition in which humans cross all the boundaries. That is why poverty is called the world’s biggest disease. In this condition, humans fight for their essential needs. And that essential need is food. Sometimes he goes out of his control to get food.
Poor education system
The education system helps to improve people’s self-control. Education helps a person to become an ideal human being in society. Education gives the individual a goal. The knowledge that is required to achieve this goal, a good education system teaches. Our education system should be such that it can give us the right path. Provide sufficient knowledge to face all problems.
There is no such education system in our society that can teach human beings to stand up to their problems and solve them.
Today communal problems are affecting human beings more. If someone comments about one’s community, people are losing control over themselves and going on the wrong path.
Drugs and alcohol
Drugs and alcohol are another major reason for the lack of self-control. Due to these, human thoughts and feelings go into a different world. It affects man’s self-control.
To abuse or hate someone
If we abuse or hate someone, that person feels bad. It affects a person’s self-control ability. He tries to avenge us. We see this kind of abuse in many places.
No one should be blamed without reason. This can cause confusion or hurt one’s mind. He may unable to control himself and bad thoughts come to his mind. The actions of such kind people can prove fatal for them and for us.
Friendship with bad people
But we see very few such friends in the society. If we are surrounded by some problems, they pull us into the wrong path instead of solving them. They Prioritizing bad thoughts.
How to control yourself in every situation?
Improve Self Control Tips #1: Set a Goal
To control yourself you must always set a goal for you. And to achieve that goal, you should focus on the goal. If you are a student, then you should focus on gaining knowledge and whatever you want to become in the future.
If you have to do some work, it is your goal to complete that work. You should focus on that. After complete that work you realize how to control yourself and you learn how to improve self-control.
Improve Self Control Tips #2: Do not Run away from Problems
All the problems that have come in the way your aim should be solved. You should not run away from your problems. No drugs or alcohol should be used to get rid of it. By doing this, you go away from difficulties for a few moments, but when the addiction gets down, then we get to see the same difficulties standing in front of us.
Improve Self Control Tips #3: Grow our thought process
Sometimes some people comment on us. Their thinking is such that they make fun of us and enjoy it. We should stay away from those types of people. But I will say how long you will stay away from them. We cannot control ourselves just by staying away. So we need some special type of thinking to improve self-control.
For example: When we go out, we found those types of people on our way. Those people stay with us only for a short time. For 2 minutes or for 20 minutes or 1 hour. We just have to control ourselves for that period. Let them speak whatever they want to speak, let them tease, let them comment. We just to stay here for a while. As soon as we have finished our work, we will move from here to our house.
We have to think only for that short period. In this way, we will be able to increase our self-control and ability to control those people also.
Improve Self Control Tips #4: Avoid Excess Use
We go to the shopping store with someone. We cannot stop ourselves from seeing different kinds of items and buy those. Did we need those items? If you really need these items? Then buy. If not, why did we buy those items? Buying is useless.
Improve Self Control Tips #5: Stay Away from daily life mistakes
There are many situations in which we should control ourselves, otherwise, we can get the opposite result. For example, criticizing someone, tease someone, angry at someone for no reason, taking something from someone without asking them. We will find many such examples in our daily life. If we are not able to control ourselves in all these situations, we can get the opposite reaction.
There will be very small incidents in our life on which we have to control ourselves and move forward and achieve our goal.
A Self Control teaching from Chanakya
Chanakya’s advice to his student Chandragupta, will help us to improve our self-control:
Knowledge of the entire universe and mathematics can be found from the book. The attachment of the mind which is very excited, it can be understood only through experience.
The pain you are experiencing is not special in any way. But you feel that there is a mess in your heart, no one has experienced such pain in the world till now. But this is just a simple attraction. A man’s attraction to a woman. If this attraction and its consequences are not reduced, it can have terrible consequences.
There is no pleasure greater than our knowledge, no disease greater than sexuality, and no enemy greater than physical attraction.
The union of a man and woman is not a bad thing. This would be normal for an ordinary person. But for those who want to become great, who have set a great goal for themselves, it will be fatal, suicidal.
In whose mind love, attachment, the attraction has encamped, that person is unable to perform his power in a fairway. He always suffers from worry about the unsafe.
All this may be normal for a common man, but for the person who has set the goal of becoming the emperor of a united India, love, attachment, attraction, sexuality can be the cause of his downfall.
If such a big goal was met by paying a simple price, then anyone would have built a united India. Then there was no need for any Chanakya nor any Chandragupta.
The construction of a united India is one of those thorns in which thorns of self-discipline. And on this, only one person can sleep who has made his body like a thunderbolt by practice. And a woman’s attraction to such a person is subversive.
Now the question is, have you strengthened yourself to achieve your goals? You have to be strong not only from outside but also from inside. Do not follow your desire, your desire will obey you. Control yourself and focus on your goals.
Self Control Quotes to improve self-control
Read here some self control quotes to better understand how to control yourself:
1. “A human who has mastered himself cannot control another person.” – Donald Tyson
2. “A person who is humble but cannot control himself has no character.” – Henry Hazlitt
3. “One animal will conquer another. A person Conquers himself.” – Mark Driscoll
4. “When we control our needs, we will be able to control ourselves.” – Elisabeth Corey
5. “Behind every successful person there is an out of control imagination.” – Auliq Ice
6. “Want to control yourself? Choose your thoughts and beliefs wisely. Be your own best friend, not your enemy.” – Maddy Malhotra
7. “The one who cannot control himself is controlled by others. This is the nature of creatures.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
8. “He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is always mightier than anyone.” – Lao Tzu
9. “If there are any difficulties in your life, then face it with calmness. You will win.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
10. “I am very happy Because I have conquered myself and not the world. I am very happy Because I have loved the world and not myself.” – Sri Chinmoy
11. “I cannot trust a man who controls others but cannot control himself.” – Robert E. Lee
12. “The man who tells others to control themselves, first he should control himself.” – Manoranjan Sahoo
13. “If you want someone to calm your anger, then anyone can make you angry. Therefore, control yourself.” – Toba Beta
14. “If you conquer yourself, you will conquer the world.” – Paulo Coelho
15. “If you do not have control over your mouth, you cannot control your future.” – Germany Kent
16. “If you do not control yourself, someone else will control you.” – Florence Scovel Shinn
17. “If you have control over yourself, you will have no desire to control others.” – Miya Yamanouchi
18. “If you manage yourself, you control the flow of your time to the right direction.” – Israelmore Ayivor
19. “To control yourself, you must have a goal and this goal must be entirely your own.” – Danny Silk
20. “Never let yourself get away from disbelief talks. Examine every unbelief with the truth.” – William Backus
21. “Do not reply to an angry person with anger, even if he deserves it… do not make his anger your anger.” – Bohdi Sanders
22. “People who are negative are unable to control the situation and try to blame others for their mistakes.” – Shannon L. Alder
23. “People who control themselves discover a major key to live their life in happiness.” – William Backus
24. “Self-control is an important factor to achieve success. We cannot control everything in life, but we can certainly control ourselves.” – Jan Mckingley Hilado
25. “If you take responsibility for the work you have done, whether it is right or wrong, then you learn how to control yourself. You become yourself.” – Vishwas Chavan
26. “The biggest enemies of willpower: temptation, self-criticism, and stress. These three skills are the foundation for self-control: Self-awareness, self-care, and remembering what matter most.” – Kelly McGonigal
27. “The enemy is inside us; This is our own Luxurious Life, our own stupidity, our own criminality. We have to control ourselves to fight with them.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
28. “The first person you have to conquer is you. This is because when at last you win over a million people, the first person to bring you down could be you. Discipline yourself!” – Israelmore Ayivor
29. “The secret to grow self-control: the power of paying attention.” – Kelly McGonigal
30. “To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
31. “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” – Marcus Aurelius
32. “For us, our goals are more than our hearts. Focus on your goals.” – Chandragupt Maurya