Check out here the list of some word riddles for kids with answers.
Word Riddles [1 to 16]
1. A single word which is versatile, it can be a letter, unknown to the problem, a variable, a target, a love, an intercept, and a type of chromosome. What am I? Answer: X.
2. Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday? Answer: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow.
3. Find an English word which is singular, add an “s” and it becomes plural, and add another “s” it becomes singular again. What is it? Answer: There are actually 3 correct answers: Caress. Princess. Brass.
4. Forward I am heavy, but backward I am not. What am I? Answer: The word Ton.
5. Granny looked up from her rocking chair and said: As far as I can tell, there is only one anagram of the word trinket. What is it? Answer: The word knitter.
6. I am a fruit. If you take away the first letter of my name I become a crime. Take away the first two letters of my name I become an animal. Take away the first and last letter of my name and I become a form of music. What am I? Answer: Grape.
7. I am a rock group that has 4 members, all of whom are dead, one of which was assasinated. What am I? Answer: Mount Rushmore. Get it, rock group?
8. I am six letters. When you take one away I am twelve. What am I? Answer: The word Dozens.
Read: Best Classic Riddles
9. I have one, you have one. Take away a letter and a bit remains. If you remove the second, bit still remains. After much trying, you might be able to remove the first one also, but it remains. What’s the word? Answer: Habit! Remove the ‘H’, and it’s ‘a bit’. Remove the ‘A’, and it’s ‘bit’. Remove ‘B’, and it’s ‘it’.
10. I know a word of letters three. Add two, and fewer there will be. What is it? Answer: The word “Few”.
11. I shave every day, but my beard stays the same. What am I? Answer: A barber
12. I’m found in socks, scarves and mittens; and often in the paws of playful kittens. What am I? Answer: Yarn
13. I’m light as a feather, yet the strongest person can’t hold me for five minutes. What am I? Answer: Your breath
14. I’m tall when I’m young, and I’m short when I’m old. What am I? Answer: A candle
15. If you’re running in a race and you pass the person in second place, what place are you in? Answer: Second place
16. If you’ve got me, you want to share me; if you share me, you haven’t kept me. What am I? Answer: A secret
Word Riddles [17 to 32]
17. It belongs to you, but other people use it more than you do. What is it? Answer: Your name
18. It is a 5 letter word if you take away first letter it is something you get from sun, if you remove second letter you will get something to eat, if you remove third letter you get a word you use in pointing at and if you remove the fourth letter you get something to drink. What is it? Answer: Wheat.
19. Name an English word of more than 2 letters that both begins and ends with the letters “he” in that order, there are two possible answers. What is it? Answer: Headache or Heartache.
20. One word in this sentence is misspelled. What word is it? Answer: MISSPELLED. It isn’t spelled wrong, the one word in this sentence IS “misspelled.”
21. There is a word in the English language in which the first two letters signify a male, the first three letters signify a female, the first four signify a great man, and the whole word, a great woman. What is the word? Answer: Heroine.
22. There’s a one-story house in which everything is yellow. Yellow walls, yellow doors, yellow furniture. What color are the stairs? Answer: There aren’t any—it’s a one-story house.
23. Two words, my answer is only two words. To keep me, you must give me. What am I? Answer: “Your word”.
24. We hurt without moving. We poison without touching. We bear the truth and the lies. We are not to be judged by our size. What are we? Answer: Words.
25. What 11-letter English word does everyone pronounce incorrectly? Answer: Incorrectly!
26. What 4-letter word can be written forward, backward or upside down, and can still be read from left to right? Answer: NOON.
27. What 5 letter word typed in all capital letters can be read the same upside down? Answer: SWIMS.
28. What 7 letter word is spelled the same way backwards and forwards? Answer: Racecar.
29. What 8 letter word can have a letter taken away and it still makes a word. Take another letter away and it still makes a word. Keep on doing that until you have one letter left. What is the word? Answer: The word is starting! starting, staring, string, sting, sing, sin, in, I. Cool,huh?
30. What can you break, even if you never pick it up or touch it? Answer: A promise
31. What can you catch, but not throw? Answer: A cold
32. What can you hold in your left hand but not in your right? Answer: Your right elbow
Word Riddles [33 to 47]
33. What can you keep after giving to someone? Answer: Your word
34. What common English word has the 3 letter consecutive sequence, “XOP”? Answer: Sa-xop-hone.
35. What English word has three consecutive double letters? Answer: Bookkeeper.
36. What English word retains the same pronunciation, even after you take away four of its five letters? Answer: Queue.
37. What familiar word starts with IS, ends with AND, and has LA in the middle? Answer: ISLAND.
38. What goes up and down but doesn’t move? Answer: A staircase
39. What is the longest word in the dictionary? Answer: Smiles (there is a mile between the two S’s)
40. What word contains all of the twenty six letters? Answer: Alphabet.
41. What word doesn’t belong in this group? That, hat, what, mat, cat, sat, pat, or chat? Answer: What. It’s pronounced differently; all of the others rhyme.
42. What word is right when pronounced wrong, but is wrong when pronounced right? Answer: The answer is wrong think about it.
43. What word of five letters has only one left when two letters are removed? Answer: Stone Remove ‘St’ and you’re left with ‘One’
44. Which of the following words don’t belong in the group and why? CORSET, COSTER, SECTOR, ESCORT, COURTS. Answer: Courts. All of the others are anagrams of each other.
45. Which word in the English language becomes shorter when it is lengthened? Answer: Short.
46. Which word is the odd one out: First, Second, Third, Forth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth? Answer: Forth, is incorrectly spelled. It should be Fourth.
47. Which word that begins with the letter I, and by adding the letter A, becomes another word that is pronounced the same? Answer: Isle and Aisle.